Moon Lake Monday
“Bread is the basic sustenance of every culture in the world, and I’m trying to connect with that primal need that we all share. The act of creating and baking bread can be a very meditative act. It centers your spirit in the present moment,” said Arielle, (Silhouettes of Moon Lake, p. 95).
Original recipe makes 1 -2 pound loaf
- 1/3 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons water
- Place the first seven ingredients in bread machine in order suggested by your manufacturer. Select dough cycle.
- Turn finished dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead 5 to 10 times. Separate into 2 or 3 pieces. Roll with hands into strips. Braid or twist strips together. Place onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Set aside to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Whisk together 1 egg white and the water. Brush onto the top of the loaf.
- Bake in the preheated oven until deep golden brown, about 20 minutes.
June 17, 2013